Monday, July 11, 2005

Learning and Living

Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Ever since i came across this quotation, my perspective towards life has changed. I feel I have developed a profound interest in learning new things. Along with that, I have got an answer to the Never-ending Human thirst for material life.

Imagine if we know we are going to die tomorrow, what is there that we would need? Imagine what would we want to have if we know that we are alive only until tomorrow.

For me, Almighty Allah's forgiveness, my loved ones around me and a peaceful death ensuring smooth and silent departure from this world, would be all i need. Then, why am I a part of this rat race for wealth and power.

The Holy Quran says in Surah At-Takathur [102:1-8]
"The mutual rivalry for piling up (the good things of this world) diverts you (from the more serious things), Until ye visit the graves. "

True, when we don't know how long are we going to stand on this earth then why do we spend all our lives in amassing material wealth.

So, finally i try to seek a balance between things like learning and living. Learning can make our life better with every single day we continue to live. We can share what we learnt, with our friends and folks. It is a lot easier to share knowledge as it grows with sharing but not so with material wealth. Material possessions weaken our desire to love, share and prosper. Everything is our life has a limit, so do the material things. They are supposed to make our lives better. Let's not allow them to take control of our lives.

Those were my thoughts on Learning and Life. What are yours? Think about it and if possible try and share them with me.

~ Qais

2 Comments:

At July 17, 2005 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aslamalaikum,

Very thought provoking.

For someone that is a little (perhaps 'little' is an understatement here) materialistically orientated, that was a wake up call.

Having great appreciation for the beautiful things in life; I have to try and steer my focus away from all the materialistic posessions I thrive on owning.

Mash'Allah you write with such clarity. Thanks for sharing that quote from the Qu'ran.

Regards

-Samira

 
At July 18, 2005 10:19 AM, Blogger Qais Mujeeb said...

Walekum assalam

Thank you for the appreciation. I thank Almighty Allah for being able to express my thoughts with a little bit of clarity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home