Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Stopping by woods...


Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
Robert Frost (1874-1963)


Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.


My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.


He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.


The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is one of my favourite poems. I find it very inspiring especially when the vagaries of life tend to have a wearing affect on me. Going through this poem and contemplating on it rejuvenates me and kinda brings me back to life...

6 Comments:

At October 25, 2005 10:48 AM, Blogger riz said...

Qais,
Thanks for the marvellous poem. :)- I had been wanting to read the full version of this acclaimed poem since a long time now! In fact, most people know it only by the last paragraph , and it was said to be the most favourite poem of even a great master of prose and literature , among others, as Jawaharlal Nehru,the peerless statesman, and the first prime minister of modern India was..

 
At October 25, 2005 10:02 PM, Blogger Qais Mujeeb said...

Thanks Riz,

I didn't know that this was Pt Nehru's favorite too ;-) Thanks for the pleasant bit of info sharing.

 
At October 25, 2005 10:04 PM, Blogger Qais Mujeeb said...

Thanks for dropping a line, Hiren. I visited your blog looking for the poem u mentioned here but couldn't locate it.

 
At November 01, 2005 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there again,

Nicely narrated but makes me feel cold.

Will check back for more :)

-Sama

 
At December 15, 2005 11:12 AM, Blogger editor said...

Uski katthai aankhon mein hain jantar-mantar sab
Chaqu waqu, chhuriyan wuriyan, khanjar wanjar sab
;)

 
At December 19, 2005 8:42 PM, Blogger Manzoor Khan said...

Looks like a truely Iqbalian inspiration - "and miles to go before I leave"... "Sitaroon se aage jahan aur bhi hain.."

No doubt, an awe-inspiring poem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home