Friday, August 20, 2004

Life made us what we are…

Recently I wrote an article on Hyderabad for my college “alumni newsletter”. Some of the readers found it very interesting. I showed it to my colleagues as well and they found it good too. Later, one of my colleagues asked about what inspired me to write. Well, I was a bit surprised at this question because I wasn’t prepared to answer it this early in my life but then I found out that I wasn’t expected to write even that small article. To find an answer, I went flipping the pages of my childhood and adolescence where I thought the writer in me took birth. As I could recall, debate and then re-arrange the sequence, it all started like this…

When I was still in school and to be more precise, I was in Standard IX then my English teacher used to give us a lot of topics for writing compositions and essays. I remember two of the topics, which the teacher gave, as particularly interesting. One of them was – If you were given three wishes, what would you ask and the other one was to write an autobiography.

While writing my autobiography, I got a chance to look back and recall all the important events of my life, till then. I wrote about ten pages of my notebook and still felt that there was more that could be added. At that moment, I realized a few things and they were – one, I had a number of memorable, adorable, forgettable and unforgettable events in my life; two, If we spend some time looking back then it encourages us to go further on; three, I could write about my life and it was easy to write than to relate, as the notebook won’t get bored of listening to your tale.

After finishing my school, I went to AMU. I didn’t want to lose my writing habit and I knew I wouldn’t be getting too many chances to write compositions here. So, I decided to write a Diary. Everyday, I would pen down the happenings in my diary. I followed a strict and religious routine of writing the daily account on a daily basis. I mayn’t have studied or opened my textbooks but I definitely filled my diary.

When I was pursuing my graduation in economics, I knew that it would need to write lengthy answers to get good marks in Exams. So, once again I tried to be a good writer. I also made up my mind to join MBA, after graduation. Talking to seniors, cousins and friends led me to the conclusion that to get an admission into a management course, you need to have good English Vocabulary and inter-personal skills. Well then, I dived into books on English vocabulary, grammar and creative writing and to improve upon my language, I wrote some poems and articles for the Hostel magazine. They didn’t get publish in the Hostel magazine but nevertheless, I gained lots of confidence. To ensure that I got good dose of literary inputs, I made sure that I was there to witness all the Literary and cultural events at AMU campus and there were many of them, round the year. I didn’t participate in many events but I was there, somewhere among the audience, absorbing and assimilating whatever I could. All this paid up when I got a ‘safe and sound’ admission into ICFAI Business School (IBS).

I learnt graphology much before I became a Writer. I got hold of a book on graphology before knowing what it was...started reading and found it very interesting and practically useful. I got immersed into it and came out a graphologist.

Tried my knowledge and hands on friends, first. It verified my knowledge and then started analysing strangers' handwriting. This is how I became a graphologist.

IBS provided a great opportunity to writers in the form of subjects like HRM, Management Skills and Marketing Management and writers like me didn’t spare even the subjects like Operations Management, ERP, Software Engineering, Systems Analysis & Design, and Data Mining/Warehousing etc. Once, I wrote a speech for an Independence Day function at IBS but I couldn’t deliver that speech myself. I am thankful to my friend who delivered it in a wonderful way.By the time I completed my studies, I was a thorough professional in writing but nobody knew until I started writing articles for ICon - IBS Alumni e-newsletter. It proves to be a good outlet for not-so-popular writers like me.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Actually, I believe, we become what life and circumstances lead us to, with a little of our liking and determination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home